"Whatever you find to do with your hands, do it with all your might." Ecc. 9:10

Sunday, November 14, 2010

We have a fence?

Well, what do you know? After spending 2 months clearing the forest in the back yard and hauling off literally TONS of debris, including many dead trees or dying ones, we see we have a very large backyard (now empty!) and a fence! We actually saw the fence from the alley one day, but needed an axe and Paul Bunyon to help us find our way to it. Now my problem is how to fill it back up - do I want a deck and flagstone patio or maybe an outdoor fireplace? Of course, I love flowers and flowering shrubs, so that is a given. I spent a couple of weeks trying to transplant some of my plants like daylilies, hydrangeas, iris and confederate jasmine I had in my yard in Plano and hope they make it through the winter months. I will be busy this winter perusing plant catalogues and deciding what and where to put things. I played with the idea of only using older plants suitable to the age of the home (1920) but that limits me more than I want. Did I mention the dirt in Sherman is much better than in Plano? You can actually dig in it. It's more like a sandy loam than the gumbo clay I'm used to working in...and that is great!    

No comments:

Post a Comment